Wednesday 20 July 2016

LEAN ON ME : Aunty Meg


Dear Aunty Meg,

I am thirty five years old. My late husband died suddenly in his sleep few months ago, leaving me with three children; two boys and a girl. (he also had two aged parents and six siblings)
Despite the fact that he had a building in the town of our abode, the family insisted that we should bring his corpse to their home town for burial.
My first shock was that a heavily pregnant woman also came and claimed she was carrying my husband’s pregnancy.
As we were arguing this out, the family requested both of us to shave our heads and our pubic hair.
I refused blatantly, but the other woman agreed. Thus they shaved her head and pubic hair.
Immediately after the burial, I followed my family member and friend back to Lagos.
That was the beginning of my ordeal. The family said because of my refusal to perform the traditional rites, I have no rights to stay in their house again. My husband’s family had given me three mouths to pack out of the house. What should I do?
Well dear readers, you have heard Edile’s story. I want you to send in you pieces of advice and let us see if we can be of any assistance to her.



No comments :

Post a Comment